Explore detailed information about lodging, participant training, bike rentals, buses, meals and more at Face of America Liberty.
Face of America Liberty Program Logistics
Face of America Liberty is fully supported with manned rest stops every ten to 15 miles providing food, drink and porta-potty facilities. Ride marshals will help athletes as necessary along the 56-mile route, and a moto team on motorcycles will help insure rider safety. A sag van with a trailer travels with the riders, offering a temporary rest when an athlete is tired or is having mechanical issues. A trained mechanic will be along to provide assistance for simple mechanical repairs at rest stops. A bus returns athletes to the ride beginning at the end of the day.
Our 56-mile Face of America Liberty route begins in historic Sleepy Hollow, New York at the Phelps Hospital. Riders will travel north along the eastern shore of the Hudson River through scenic parks and small communities. The route crosses the Hudson River at the Bear Mountain Bridge, once the world’s longest suspension bridge, and continues north to its conclusion at the United States Military Academy at West Point.
Here are maps for our 2018 route – our 2019 route will be similar (please note that the route may change to reflect local road conditions).
Saturday, September 28
Start Time: 7:00 a.m. | Rest Stops: 3 | Miles: 56 | Elevation Gain: 3,176 Feet | Elevation Loss: 3,150 Feet
The Face of America Liberty concludes at the scenic Trophy Point at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York
Adaptive athletes of all backgrounds are invited to join us at Face of America Liberty 2019.
There is a $25 registration fee for adaptive athletes and a $125 fundraising commitment. This commitment is firm – you must meet or exceed this amount by our commitment deadline to participate.
Registration for adaptive athletes is currently underway. Athletes who have interest in participating following the reaching of our registration category maximum may join our adaptive athlete waiting list. Please send an email message indicating your interest and background. Waiting list athletes will be invited by email to register when openings occur owing to athlete withdrawals for medical reasons, official orders or other unexpected causes.
Adaptive Athlete Benefits
Participating adaptive athletes receive several benefits as a part of their registration.
- Rider gift bag at registration.
- Face of America Liberty Jersey.
- Provided meals include Saturday continental breakfast, quick lunch and a ride-ending snack at West Point.
Adaptive Athlete Participation Requirements
Adaptive athletes are defined as any athlete who lives with a disability. This includes loss of limb, paralysis, blindness, deafness, Post-Traumatic Stress, Traumatic Brain Injury, and other injuries or conditions created by illness, accident, or work conditions and circumstances, as well as medical conditions by birth. Participation is open to all adaptive athletes, including military veterans and civilians.
Athletes and Volunteers
Participating Face of America Liberty athletes and volunteers can check-in at ride registration on Friday afternoon, September 27 at the host hotel beginning at 4 p.m. At this time, athletes will receive ride gift bags, jerseys and confirm their participation.
Athlete and volunteer check-in closes at 6 p.m. Friday evening.
There is a limited check-in period Saturday morning at the ride start at Phelps Hospital, beginning at 6:15 a.m. and ending at 7 a.m.
All registered participants receive the commemorative Face of America Liberty 2019 cycling jersey at athlete check-in Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.
Our official jersey provider, Athlos Sports, offers a club cut jersey made for comfort. Athlos custom sports apparel offers the latest and best materials and technology. The jerseys are designed to not only look fantastic, but perform according to your level of need. Here are some details:
- Performance delivered with a sport fit. Look great, feel great, and achieve that personal milestone.
- H2 Zero (non pick) high moisture management
- 3 rear-positioned racer pockets offer secure storage and easy access
- Full zip raglan sleeve
- Silicone gripper waist
All overnight lodging reservations and payment at Face of America Liberty are the responsibility of the athlete. Unless you live close to the Sleepy Hollow start at the Phelps Hospital, staying overnight at the host hotel in Tarrytown will be helpful and allow you a fresh start in the morning.
Note that you should meet the September 7 reservation deadline to secure the special event rate and be assured of a room. Reservations made after this date will be at the standard room rate for the property.
The host hotel for the 2018 Face of America Liberty is the Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel. Located at 600 White Plains Road in Tarrytown, New York, just north of Interstate Highways 87 and 287, the hotel has been recently remodeled and upgraded. It includes an onsite restaurant, the Toasted Barrel, and a lounge. The hotel provides in-room wired Internet service for guests at a small daily fee. The hotel also has an indoor pool, 24 hour fitness center, and free self-parking. The ride start at the Phelps Hospital is 4.3 miles from the hotel, about a ten to 15 minute drive.
Face of America Liberty participants can book their room online at a dedicated reservation site, launching in early summer.
Helpful Lodging Tips
To avoid any surprises during your overnight stay in Tarrytown, here are some helpful tips:
- Make your reservations early.
- Use the official Sheraton lodging reservation site.
- Contact the Sheraton Hotel directly to cancel your room reservation if you should decide on alternate accommodations or if you choose to not participate. Please note that many hotels require a 30-day cancellation notice, unless a room has been confirmed to an individual credit card. When a room is confirmed, cancellation is possible much closer to the event. World T.E.A.M. is not responsible for canceling reservations or paying for rooms reserved by a rider.
- There will be secure overnight storage for bicycles on Friday evening at the Sheraton. Bikes may be checked in for overnight storage following optional bike inspection.
- A quick cyclist’s breakfast is available at Saturday morning’s ride start and offers foods such as muffins, fruits, coffee, juice, etc.
- Saturday noon snack for athletes is available at the midway point. This usually consists of a selection of submarine sandwiches and a drink.
- Athletes and volunteers are invited to participate in the Saturday post-ride snack at the United States Military Academy at West Point. The snack provides a bite to eat before many of the participants get on the road for their journey home.
West Point to Sleepy Hollow Return Bus
Face of America Liberty participants who are not being met by friends or family at the United States Military Academy at West Point should reserve free return bus tickets to the ride start at the Phelps Hospital at 701 N Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591. These tickets can be ordered at the time of registration or by email request. Space on these buses are limited to registered participants and volunteers.
The return bus is scheduled to depart from the ride finish at West Point at about 4:00 p.m. Depending on traffic, buses will arrive at the start by about 5:00 p.m. If you have reservations to depart by air transportation from New York Saturday evening, do not schedule your departure earlier than 9:00 p.m. if you are taking our bus to Sleepy Hollow.
Bikes will travel in a Penske box truck or on a trailer with a Sag to the Sleepy Hollow ride start.
Participants of the 2019 Face of America Liberty cycling challenge will need to bring their own bikes or rent from a local vendor on their own.
World T.E.A.M. has not arranged for an official rental vendor.
Although many participants will travel to Face of America Liberty by private vehicle, there are those who may arrive by air or train. You may choose to ship your bike using a service such as BikeFlights, or bring your bicycle with you as baggage on your flight on on a train. The Metro North Railroad does permit two-wheeled bicycles to be hand carried onto the train, but a $5 permit is required. No hand cycles or recumbent bicycles may be carried on the train. Metro North offers scheduled transportation to the Tarrytown and Philipse Manor Stations and Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan. Travel time is approximately 35 minutes for express trains.
Many adaptive athletes have found they can ship their personal bike with them during air travel at no extra cost. Download and read our free PDF-format 2019 Air Travel Guidelines, providing helpful information about traveling by air with your bicycle or hand cycle.
Registered athletes who discover they are unable to participate in Face of America Liberty should be aware of the following policies and procedures.
- Written Notification. It is best to send notification by email message of your unavailability to participate, rather than simply not show at the event. Providing written notification allows World T.E.A.M. to invite or include an additional athlete if a category is otherwise filled. In addition, notification of a cancellation allows the organizers to not plan for your attendance.
- Refunds and Transfers. Registration and applicable fees are nonrefundable and are not transferable. Donations are not refundable, but can be transferred to your team or to another athlete if requested.
- Commitment Charge. Athletes who cancel their participation or who do not show at the event following the cancellation deadline are subject to the commitment charge to their provided credit account.
- Physician and Official Orders Exemption. Athletes can avoid the commitment charge by providing a letter from their physician on the physician’s letterhead stating their inability to travel or to participate. Active-duty military members can avoid the commitment charge through providing a copy of their official orders.
- Adaptive Athlete Reservation Penalty. Adaptive athletes and registered caregivers who have non-refundable reservations with World T.E.A.M. for transportation, lodging or equipment rental may be subject to a penalty for cancellation or no show following the cancellation deadline. This penalty may be up to the value of their reservation(s) and will be applied to their credit card on file. This is in addition to any commitment charge.
- Jerseys and other gear. Athletes who cancel prior to an event or who are a no-show may request mailing of the event jersey or t-shirt by email message in the 30 days following the event. Other gear, such as goodie bags, may be available upon request. The athlete must have met or exceeded their fundraising commitment. Requested sizing may not be available.
- Virtual Participants. Athletes can optionally transfer their registration to the non-participatory virtual participant category rather than cancelling. Such transfers allows the athlete to continue to be a member of their team, with donations already received or arriving benefiting the team. This transfer does not allow a refund of the registration fee but does eliminate the fundraising commitment. No jerseys, food or other event benefits will be provided. Such requests must be received by email message no later than 14 days prior to the event start.