Complete this Application to Qualify for Face of America 2019
National non-profit World T.E.A.M.’s inclusive Face of America cycling challenge to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania will be held Friday, May 3 through Sunday, May 5, 2019.
Active and retired military, first-responder and civilians with disabilities are invited to complete this application to receive an invitation to register for this inclusive two-day non-competitive ride.
Applications for adaptive athletes will be accepted for consideration as positions remain. Once the category capacity is reached, applications will be accepted for our replacement rider list. Replacement riders fill openings from athletes who drop out unexpectedly for medical reasons or for official military orders.
Important Note: All questions marked with an asterisk (*) are required for consideration. If you are unable to submit, review the questionnaire for any missed required questions. Please note that some browsers, such as Microsoft Explorer and Google Chrome with add-on software blocking pop-up windows, may have difficulties in completing and successfully submitting the application.
Any Questions or Difficulties with Your Application? Please contact us by email for assistance.
Participating Adaptive Athlete Requirements
To be considered as a candidate by our adaptive athlete participation committee and be invited to register as a participant, the successful applicant must:
- Have a documented physical, emotional or developmental disability through birth, injury or illness;
- Be physically fit to be able to complete daily cycling of 50 to 60 miles on hilly terrain;
- Be able to fully commit at the time of registration to our May 3-5, 2019 event. Individuals who cancel their participation after March 1, 2019 may be subject to financial penalties for non-refundable reservations, including air travel, lodging and bicycle rentals. These penalties may be waived if the athlete provides medical documentation from their physician or official military orders.
Accepted athletes who receive invitations to ride will then need to register. An application is not complete until online registration is complete. There is a $25 registration fee, and a commitment of $250 in fundraising. You must meet these financial commitments to participate. Participants are required to meet their fundraising commitment by April 26, 2019, or an autocharge will be applied to the provided credit account to reach the minimum.
Adaptive Athlete Benefits
All registered adaptive athletes at Face of America will receive the following:
- A 2019 ride jersey and goodie bag.
- Lodging on Friday and Saturday evenings (double occupancy).
- All meals from Friday dinner until Sunday lunch.
- Return bus transportation to Arlington.
- Bicycle, recumbent or hand cycle rental if requested.
- First-year athletes receive transportation assistance upon request if the athlete lives outside the Washington, D.C. capital region. This includes air reservations or gas reimbursement if traveling by vehicle. Returning athletes of two or more years with Face of America are responsible for their own transportation arrangements and costs.
Adaptive Athlete Financial Responsibilities
All registered adaptive athletes participating at Face of America will need to cover the following personal expenses:
- All meals outside the designated meals on Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday.
- Lodging for any accompanying family members or friends who are not registered caregivers.
- Lodging beyond Friday and Saturday evenings (except as authorized by World T.E.A.M. for travel arrangements).
- Hotel room and meal service, parking and/or special fees, such as Internet access or pay-per-view television.
In addition, second and greater year adaptive athletes will need to cover the following personal expenses:
- Transportation to and from their home to the host hotel in Arlington, Virginia.